Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mooloolaba Triathlon

So I have had plenty of time to think about the race in Mooloolaba and find out what exactly happened, as it definitely wasn’t the result I was after! Mooloolaba triathlon is one of Australia’s largest and most popular triathlons. It’s a weekend festival with everything from ocean swims, fun runs and of course the triathlon. When I arrived on the ‘Sunshine coast’ it was not living up to its name and was recovering from torrential rain with some parts of the town flooded. I stayed indoors, jumped on the treadmill and the preparation was still going to plan.


I had a solid 8 weeks training block on the Gold Coast with pre‐qualified Olympic triathlete Brad Kahlefeldt leading up to the race (my first Olympic distance triathlon in 18 months). It was awesome to spend time with Brad and see what a true professional athlete does day in and day out. Following his training program for a race that he has won three times and was looking for his third consecutive win, he obviously knows how to win.


With all of the torrential rain, the water was a bit mucky and dirty but that didn’t stop me from leading the whole swim (although I didn’t feel the best) until the final wave zone. A set wave come for the guys sitting around the 20th position to come through and make up ground. I still managed to exit the water in the top 10 and get out onto the bike in good position. The bike was an out and back course on the freeway with not much happening and the field of 60 came together as one big pack. At this point, I still wasn’t feeling the best on the bike but I was confident with my running leading up to event so was patiently waiting for the final 10km run. I left transition two in 4th spot and onto the run I went. Nothing eventuated for me on the run, feeling a little flat and coming over the line in 18th. After the prospect of racing again and the build up I had, I was somewhat disappointed with my finish but now can move on to the next race.


I have had a lot of support post race and one Aussie triathlete said to me “you can't be disappointed with your race. It's a long road back from where you were and you've done the longest, hardest part. Keep ticking away. It comes back eventually, believe me”. He himself would know, having spent two years out (four years ago) with injury and now has all but sewn up the 2nd Olympic spot for London. It meant a lot for him to say that! Moving forward, I have to stay healthy, stay motivated because I know I have a awesome block of training behind me that is ready to be unleashed!


Next race: ITU Asian Cup – Subic Bay, Philippines May 5th.


Shane

2 comments:

  1. Shane, I've had "Mooloolaba triathlon" tagged in my Google alerts as I look for tips for next year, my *first* one...

    Loved reading your story above.. but tell me, what did you *learn* from it? What could you have done differently (or will do differently in the lead up to the next race)?

    Paul Barrs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tri Bike Transfer transports bikes fully assembled to major
    Mooloolabah triathlon events around Australia including Devonport, Melbourne Ironman, Mooloolabah, Sunshine Coast 70.3, Byron Bay and Noosa

    ReplyDelete