Friday, August 14, 2009

News article 14/09/2009

Knee injury hampers Shane Barrie's preparation

14/08/2009 4:00:00 AM
North Wollongong ironman Shane Barrie will have his first start in the new ITU World Championships Series in Yokohama next weekend.

This will be the last race of seven in the series before the world championships finale on the Gold Coast.

Barrie will be racing the 2008 Olympic gold medalist, Jan Frodeno, of Germany, and 2008 Olympic bronze medalist Bevan Docherty, of New Zealand, plus a host of athletes ranked inside the top 20.

"I'll be looking to attack the swim and try to lead out of the water," Barrie said yesterday.

"But I don't expect to run to my full capacity due to my knee injury that I've had for about three weeks.

"I'm getting over it now.

"I'll be going to Yokohama to gain experience in this unique opportunity and to have fun before I come home on August 25.

"I had my first ITU World Cup start last week in Tiszaujvaros, Hungary, where I was third out of the water.

"But I struggled with the bike and run due to the lack of training with the knee."

No comments:

Post a Comment